An investigation into Andrew Cuomo’s handling of nursing home COVID-19 deaths is closed with no charges against the former New York governor, according to Fox News.
Early this week, Elkan Abramowitz, a former federal prosecutor who represents Cuomo, said that the Elder Care Unit from the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office informed him that they had dropped its probe involving Cuomo’s mishandling the COVID-19 nursing homes without charging him.
“I was told that after a thorough investigation—as we have said all along—there was no evidence to suggest that any laws were broken,” the former governor’s attorney said on Monday, Jan. 3.
According to Fox News, the probe was opened last year after New York Attorney General Letitia James revealed that the state’s Department of Health underreported COVID-19 deaths in nursing homes by as much as 50%.
Cuomo had ordered nursing homes to admit the patients who tested positive for or were suspected of having COVID-19 early in his pandemic response despite the facilities’ vulnerable populations. Following the controversial move, thousands of elderly patients became infected with the virus.
New York AG Letitia James said at that time that, “As the pandemic and our investigations continue, it is imperative that we understand why the residents of nursing homes in New York unnecessarily suffered at such an alarming rate.”
“While we cannot bring back the individuals we lost to this crisis, this report seeks to offer transparency that the public deserves and to spur increased action to protect our most vulnerable residents,” James said in a statement.
In a separate investigation in November, the New York Assembly concluded that the Cuomo administration “materially misrepresented” data on nursing home deaths.
One lawmaker even said that the revelations would have been grounds for impeachment if Cuomo was still in office.